Your basement shouldn’t feel like a sauna. Although it’s an easy problem to overlook, high humidity can damage your home and your health. BQ Basements & Concrete waterproofing systems keep your basement dry and healthy, long-term.
Excess basement moisture creates a breeding ground for mold, pests, and structural damage, signaling the need for waterproofing. We help you protect your home and family with proven basement waterproofing solutions.
BQ Basements & Concrete provides proven solutions and expert knowledge in basement waterproofing and humidity control, addressing and eliminating unwanted moisture and water in basements.
This page will guide you through the common basement humidity issues and how we address them so you can make an informed decision for your home and protect your family.
What Is Basement Humidity?
Humidity is the amount of water vapor in the air. Relative humidity measures how much moisture there is in the air compared to the maximum amount that can be present at a given temperature.
Basement humidity becomes a problem when relative humidity levels exceed 55-60% for extended periods. This creates ideal conditions for mold growth, pest infestations, structural damage, and other hazards.
Neglecting basement humidity can lead to serious repercussions for your home’s integrity and your family’s well-being. It’s crucial to understand the underlying causes and take proactive measures to manage moisture sources, ensuring an effective approach to combat basement humidity.
What Causes Basement Humidity?
Many factors contribute to basement humidity and dampness, such as:
- Water Intrusion: Moisture can infiltrate through basement walls, floors, and joint cracks, gaps around pipes, wires, and windows. These leaks can result from heavy rainfall, floods, or damaged water pipes.
- Water Seepage through Porous Material: Groundwater easily permeates through porous concrete walls and floors, especially in regions with a high-water table.
- Internal Plumbing Issues: Burst pipes and leaks from appliances like water heaters and washing machines can lead to moisture buildup in the basement. These problems may arise from aging, wear and tear, or improper installation.
- Exterior Drainage Concerns: Damaged gutters, downspouts, and improper landscaping grading can lead to the accumulation of rainwater and snowmelt around the foundation. This collected moisture can seep into the basement through wall and floor cracks or other openings.
- Impact of Outdoor Humidity and Ventilation: Inadequate ventilation and air circulation in many basements can cause outdoor humidity to condense on cooler surfaces. Additionally, open windows and wall cracks may allow humid air to enter.
- Inadequate Insulation: Basements lacking sufficient insulation exacerbate the issue by enabling warm, moist air to make contact with cooler walls, resulting in condensation.
- Contribution of Indoor Activities: Activities like bathing, laundry, and other household chores introduce moisture into indoor air, which can find its way into the basement through cracks or other openings.
Effective humidity control begins with addressing the issues early.
Can You Fix Basement Humidity?
Basement humidity is a problem that can’t be ignored as it can lead to mold growth, structural damage, and health hazards. But don’t worry—there’s a solution.
Our comprehensive basement waterproofing system permanently fixes the root cause of basement humidity, so you can say goodbye to quick fixes and hello to a cleaner, healthier, and more usable basement.
We use the latest technologies and materials to provide lasting solutions that protect your investment and your family’s well-being.
How to Fix Humidity in Your Basement
Basement humidity control involves these key steps:
- Evaluation: Through a comprehensive, free inspection of your residence and the utilization of specialized tools such as moisture meters and hygrometers, we precisely locate points of water ingress and offer tailored recommendations.
- Interior Drainage System: Our state-of-the-art perimeter interior drains intercept seeping water and divert it away via a sump pump.
- Sump Pump: The sump pump works with the interior drain system to rid your basement of water.
- Wall Vapor Barrier: A resilient and robust basement wall vapor barrier acts as a protective shield, thwarting any potential moisture infiltration through the basement walls.
- High-Performance Dehumidification: Our advanced and energy-conscious dehumidification system expertly regulates moisture levels, enhancing the overall quality of indoor air.
BQ Basements & Concrete’s proprietary line of waterproofing solutions is personalized to solve your unique problems, making them far more effective than one-size-fits-all solutions from big box stores.
Our solutions are backed by comprehensive, long-term, transferable, and nationally backed warranties, so you can have peace of mind knowing that your investment is protected.
Why Address Humidity in Your Basement Now
Basement humidity is a serious problem that should be addressed as soon as possible. Here are some of the reasons why:
- Health Hazards: High humidity levels can promote the growth of mold, which can cause respiratory problems and other health issues. Mold can also damage surfaces.
- Pest Infestations: Humidity attracts pests such as spiders, termites, roaches, and small animals. It can also cause musty odors.
- Improved Air Quality: Eliminating basement moisture can improve your home’s air quality and help to prevent respiratory problems.
- Structural Damage: Constant moisture can cause dry rot, warping, and can weaken the foundation and structural components of your home over time.
- Utility Costs: Damp basements require more energy to heat or cool, which can lead to higher utility bills.
Our basement waterproofing experts can help you achieve and maintain a dry, comfortable, and usable basement space. Our specialized, proprietary solutions are designed to provide long-term relief from basement humidity and related issues.
Contact BQ Basements & Concrete for Reliable Basement Waterproofing Solutions
Prevent elevated humidity levels in your basement. Protect your home from moisture damage with professional waterproofing solutions from BQ Basements & Concrete.
We’ve been the region’s leading basement waterproofing company in Philadelphia, New Jersey, and Delaware for over 20 years. Homeowners trust our customer service, expertise, and tailored waterproofing products to keep their basements dry and comfortable.
Optimal basement humidity ranges from 40-50%. Exceeding 60% can result in moisture-related problems, such as mold growth, structural damage, and health hazards. Contact BQ Basements & Concrete for expert assistance in regulating your basement’s humidity levels through dependable, professional waterproofing solutions.
Standard dehumidifiers can provide temporary relief from basement humidity, but they are generally not powerful enough to handle large rooms like basements.
Basement and crawl space humidity can lead to mold growth, structural damage, and health problems. To permanently solve the problem, you need a specialized dehumidifier specifically designed for basements.
After implementing our comprehensive basement waterproofing system, you’ll observe immediate humidity improvement. These benefits are long-lasting and contribute to the sustained health of your basement.
Contact BQ Basements & Concrete to better understand our professional solutions and identify your home’s most suitable course of action. We offer complimentary inspections to provide you with the reliable basement waterproofing information you need.