Maintaining smooth, even concrete surfaces is vital for the safety and aesthetic appeal of your home. In contrast, cracked and sunken concrete sidewalk slabs pose various potential hazards.
These fissures can arise from various factors, including varying weather conditions and subpar installation. A deteriorated sidewalk diminishes your home’s visual charm and poses a potential danger to family and guests.
BQ Basements & Concrete recognizes the unsightly appearance and safety concerns associated with cracked concrete sidewalks. That’s why we leverage our innovative SettleStop™ PolyRenewal™ concrete lifting technology to rectify compromised areas, ensuring a secure and visually pleasing pathway for your residence.
Explore this page to learn about the underlying causes of sidewalk cracks and why it’s crucial to promptly address the issue with specialized concrete lifting solutions.
What Is a Cracked Sidewalk?
A cracked concrete sidewalk is a pathway with visible fractures or splits in the concrete, usually next to a residential or commercial building. These cracks can vary in size and severity, from minor hairline cracks to significant gaps that pose tripping hazards.
Cracked sidewalks are often seen with other damage, including:
- Cracked driveway
- Cracked concrete patio
- Cracked pool deck
- Sinking concrete steps
- Sinking porch
- Concrete pitting, flaking, and staining
If neglected, sidewalk cracks have the potential to expand and multiply, resulting in more significant structural issues and potential legal liabilities for property owners. Over time, unattended cracks can deteriorate further as the slabs gradually sink, causing the concrete segments to loosen, become uneven, and protrude. This poses tripping hazards and diminishes your property’s curb appeal.
The expertise of professionals like BQ Basements & Concrete can safeguard your property against these risks.
What Causes Sidewalk Cracks?
There are many causes for sidewalk cracks, including:
- Shifting Soil: As the soil beneath the concrete settles or erodes, it weakens the sidewalk’s structural integrity by compromising its foundational support.
- Growing Tree Roots: Roots from trees can exert pressure on the concrete from beneath. As they displace the soil and grow, they apply force to the concrete, leading to cracks and uneven surfaces.
- Weather Extremes: Severe weather conditions like intense rain or flooding have the potential to erode the underlying soil. Repeated cycles of winter freezing and thawing causes water within small cracks to expand and contract, leading to further damage during the thawing phase.
- Installation Oversights: Insufficient curing time, inadequate reinforcement, or an unstable base layer during the concrete’s installation can lead to the formation of cracks.
The factors that contribute to sidewalk damage can also pose a threat to your home’s foundation. It’s crucial to identify the root cause of the crack to implement a lasting solution and prevent recurring damage.
Can You Fix a Cracked Sidewalk?
Yes. While cracked sidewalks can be repaired, taking a comprehensive approach is vital for lasting results.
Though do-it-yourself kits from large retailers may promise a quick resolution for cracked sidewalks, patching with cement or resorting to mudjacking provides only a temporary fix for a more complex issue.
For a reliable and long-lasting solution, trust the concrete repair experts at BQ Basements & Concrete. We go beyond surface fixes to identify and resolve the root cause of the issue, preventing it from recurring in the future.
Our proprietary PolyRenewal™ process lifts, stabilizes, and rejuvenates sunken, cracked concrete sidewalk slabs. This innovative solution uses a high-density polyurethane foam to fill voids and lift concrete back to its original position, without damaging the surrounding area.
How to Fix a Cracked Sidewalk
At BQ Basements & Concrete, we employ an innovative technique known as PolyRenewal™ to address cracked and uneven sidewalks.
Here’s an overview of how it operates:
- First, we conduct a comprehensive assessment to identify the underlying causes of the cracks and to determine the most suitable solution.
- We drill small, penny-sized openings into the affected areas.
- Injection ports are installed into the holes with precision.
- We combine our exclusive two-part polymer foam for optimal results.
- Administer the foam beneath the sunken slabs via the ports, ensuring thorough coverage.
- The foam expands, filling voids, and solidifying within 15 minutes.
- The sidewalk slab lifts and stabilizes with the soil beneath.
- We then conclude by removing the injection ports and seamlessly patching the drilled holes.
- Seal all existing cracks and joints to prevent potential future water damage.
- Implement routine maintenance to enhance the sidewalk’s longevity.
The PolyRenewal™ process is a quick, efficient, and affordable way to repair cracked sidewalks, restoring their safety and aesthetic appeal.
Why Address Sidewalk Cracks Now
Timely repair of cracked and uneven sidewalks is crucial for several important reasons:
- Accident Prevention: Allowing cracked sidewalks to persist creates a hazardous environment, increasing the risk of trips and falls.
- Liability Mitigation: Neglecting hazardous, cracked sidewalks can lead to potential legal liabilities.
- Cost-Effective Solutions: Addressing the underlying causes of the cracks prevents them from worsening, potentially leading to costly measures like complete sidewalk replacement.
- Property Value Preservation: Well-maintained sidewalks enhance curb appeal, ultimately boosting the marketability and value of your home. Homebuyers are drawn to properties with safe and hassle-free walkways.
Contact BQ Basements & Concrete for Reliable Concrete Lifting Solutions
Don’t let cracked sidewalks undermine your property’s value and curb appeal. BQ Basements & Concrete’s groundbreaking concrete lifting solutions eradicate the risks and unsightliness of damaged walkways, restoring their longevity and aesthetics.
Our team of experienced professionals has been helping homeowners throughout Philadelphia, New Jersey, and Delaware for over 20 years. As the region’s trusted concrete lifting provider, we’re known for excellent customer service and innovative repairs. Contact us for a free inspection and estimate.
A seemingly minor sidewalk crack can swiftly escalate into a significant issue. If left unattended, these cracks can expand, destabilizing the slab and resulting in uneven surfaces. This damage poses fall risks and requires expensive repairs.
Contact an expert concrete repair company like BQ Basements & Concrete at the earliest indication of sidewalk cracks. We conduct thorough concrete assessments, pinpoint the root cause of the problem, and recommend the best solution to repair the damage and prevent future occurrences.
Yes, PolyRenewal™ is designed with environmental consciousness in mind. It poses no threat to the surrounding ecosystem, ensuring no harm to the environment. The material is engineered to remain securely in place beneath the concrete, without any leaching into the soil.
You can trust BQ Basements & Concrete’s exclusive PolyRenewal™ polyurethane foam for a safe and efficient concrete lifting solution. Contact us today for more information and to arrange a complimentary inspection.
The cost is determined by factors like the extent of the existing damage, the project’s size and complexity, as well as the specific solutions employed. At BQ Basements & Concrete, we offer complimentary inspections and flexible financing options. Contact us for further details.